Tuesday, 17 August 2010

teeth!


You may need to click on the photo to enlarge it, but there's definately two teeth coming through

A word of warning to the wise - Emma now has a couple of teeth coming in. I wouldn't put my fingers near her mouth if I were you, or even leave your fingers unattended in her presence. She is chewing on anything in sight at the moment.

She's continuing to do well with the baby-led weaning thing we're trying, where she eats finger food. She doesn't half make a mess, but now everytime she sees someone eating something, she wants a piece of it.

For family home evening last night we spent a little time showing Michael videos from the blog of when he was Emma's age. It's funny to see how they developed differently. Emma's a better sleeper, but that's probably because we're a bit tougher with her. I think Michael was more mobile, whereas Emma is more clingy to Sarah (in my opinion). Emma's teeth have come in a couple of months earlier than Michael's (his first tooth was spotted at the Olsens by Coleen in Utah Oct 07). Emma seems more interested in people, and Michael was more interested in things. Maybe that's just the stereotypes of boys and girls playing on my mind.

Michael went with Sarah today to the dentist. I think it's the first time that he's properly been to the dentist, and Sarah assures me that despite initially being hesitant, once he got in there he was very conversational. He has 22 teeth, which I think is the correct number of baby teeth. I hope he takes after his mother in the teeth department. I've got an extra tooth, that always gets dentists a bit excited when they see it.

Michael did, however, ask Sarah at the dentists' if she had a baby in her tummy. He's asked her that a couple of times recently. He's spent a bit of time with the Freed girls recently, who's mum is pregnant, so I'm guessing that's where he's getting the idea. We'll need to talk to him about what's appropriate questions to ask people. Especially people who are dealing with the (occasional) horror of two pre-school children and a sick husband (i.e. Sarah).

Michael's got something called 'Slap Cheek' at the moment. He doesn't look anything like the kid in the link though. He was quite hot for a couple of days, and we noticed a rash (that he says isn't itchy) on his cheeks. He's been pretty grumpy and tired the last couple of days. I'm not feeling too well, and we're hoping it's just and adult manifestation of the same thing. I'm just trying to get as much rest as I can in the hope that it passes without any complications.

We had an interesting encounter the other day. I got a text at work from Sarah saying that someone had given Michael flowers and some pastries at the door whilst she was in the shower. Sarah didn't know who it was that had given them, but Michael only said it was a 'big boy'. Maybe it's because of where I work, but I got a little over-worried about that. After some texting back and forward it turned out that the gifts weren't for Michael, but for Sarah. When I got home, I think it would be fair to say that Michael was subject to a cross-examination to try and find out who had given the presents. I managed to extract from him that it was a 'big boy' with glasses, silver hair and a silver car. We showed Michael pictures from Facebook of any likely culprits, but to be honest, I think he was interested in other things. Luckily the Bishop (from church) called us in the early evening to make sure Sarah had received the presents he'd passed on through Michael. He fitted the description perfectly and was one of our most likely candidates, but as you can well imagine, we didn't really fancy calling around everyone we could think of asking them if they'd left some flowers and food with Michael that morning.

No comments: