Sunday, 11 February 2007

Learning Curve

When I was initially getting frustrated with Michael's two steps forward, then one, two or occasionally three steps back approach to feeding, my Mum quite rightly pointed out that if babies' learning could be measured on a graph, it would not show a straight line - they're going to getting better, but it will take them longer. I think, in a similar way, I'm learning new lessons constantly, but I hope I can be a little better than Michael is at retaining this gems of wisdom that will hopefully help me throughout this whole parenting process.

  1. As Michael is almost completely dependant on Martin and I, we make most of his decisions for him. Whilst these are generally limited to sleeping and feeding issues, I'm still amazed at how difficult I find making those decisions.
  2. Lots of people have an opinion on which approach we should make, based either on the 'textbook' baby (usually given by health professionals), or on what they did with their own children. These are, however, not always stated by way of suggestion or opinion. As a new mother, I'm learning a lot from those with more experience than I, but I need to remember that their opinions are not based on experience with our unique baby and far from textbook parents.
  3. There are usually no right or wrong ways of doing things. Although it wouldn't seem like it, until we get used to making decisions on Michael's behalf, this makes them even harder. If there was a right or wrong way, at least I would know what to do, or I would understand more of the consequences of the decisions that we make.

No comments: