Michael's first day at school was very exciting. I was very impressed at how ready he was to go into school.
We all walked down together, and there was a lot of excitement as we knew lots of other children on the way who were going in for their first day.
We bumped into the Freeds on the way back from dropping off Olivia for her first day at school. Colette was good enough to take a couple of photos with her (really good) camera, and send them on to us.
There were no tears, which was pretty surprising. Sarah and I both felt pretty reassured that Michael was happy just to go in and sit in the class. There were loads of mums coming the other way who were obviously having the after-affects of crying.
Embarrassingly, we think Michael was the last person to get into his class. In our defence, we were advised to get him there between 9 and 9.30, and got him there for 9.20, but when the teacher said "Ah Michael - we've been expecting you", it was a bit of a giveaway that all the other parents were a little more eager. To make things a little worse, when Sarah went to pick up Michael (at 12pm - the suggested time), there were only two other kids left in the class.
Sarah and I were both excited by little things, like Michael having a rocket on his coat-peg rather than the lemon he had at nursery.
I think it made a big difference that Michael was going to a school next to his nursery with kids from the nursery. It probably isn't much of a difference for him. It will be when he starts going for the full day in a couple of weeks.
When I got back from work, Michael didn't seem overly excited to tell me what had gone on. After a bit of interrogation, he said he'd played Buzz Lightyear (a game of his own invention) with Ruby and Aidan. That was about all I could get out of him.
No comments:
Post a Comment