Monday, 20 May 2013

Baseball Fail and Post-Funeral










As you can see I tried and failed miserably to get a decent photo of Emma playing baseball in the back garden. She was actually pretty good, and managed to hit the ball a couple of times.

Both have settled in quite nicely after their granddad's funeral. They were in Glenrothes and Aberdeen a lot, and missed a bit of school, but seem to be ok. Michael made a great poster for the reception following the funeral of photos of Granddad Adam with Michael and Emma. It seems he made a presentation of it at school when he got back (Sarah helped put the photos and his comments into a folder for presentation). They occasionally say things which let us know they understand the gravity of what's happened.

My mum and dad had them for the funeral and burial. I remember my own Granddad's funeral when I was Michael's age being a pretty harrowing event for me, so we thought it best to have them meet up afterwards. When I got there, Emma had a white rose and they both had a Scottish Flag badge. I asked them where they got it from, and it turned out they got it from none other than Alex Salmond, the First Minister of Scotland! They were on their best behaviour which was greatly appreciated. 

I had the bright idea of taking them both (with Sarah) to the cinema last Saturday. I've never been with Emma, and have only been a couple of times with Michael. We went to see Wreck-It Ralph. Michael has a thing about the cinema being scary, so we didn't tell him until we got there. He's really reluctant to do a lot of things but usually enjoys them once we get started. He started crying in the car and had to be coaxed out. He was initially ok, but there was a bit of the film that was a bit scary, and he had to be taken out. He did want to come back in towards the end, and seemed to really enjoy it when we talk about it now. Emma loved it.  He get's emotionally attached to films, especially when he hasn't seen them before. He had been ok the last few films he'd gone to see so his reaction was surprising. The plus side was that we managed to not drop any of the massive bag of popcorn we got, of which Emma had way more than her fair share. 

No comments: